Famously, the great French director Robert Bresson often shot enormous numbers of takes of his actors—who, in his later films, are almost all nonactors—reportedly, as many as fifty takes, in order to strip them of expression, in order, in effect, to remove their habits of theatrical will and render their performances as neutral as possible.
Elaine May, when she shot “Ishtar,” did the same with her stars, Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman, and she achieved similarly distinctive results: she turned the suave and seductive Beatty into a nerd and the nerdy Hoffman into a (wrongly) confident man of action. Bresson never took the flak for his practices that May did; her so-called perfectionism, unlike his, translated into huge overages on location, and they were widely reported. As a result, May’s film became a wrongly interpreted symbol of Hollywood excess even before its release (“Does the $40 million really show in Ishtar?”), in 1987, and the reporting and the criticism unified, as they hadn’t since the release of “Heaven’s Gate,” against one of the most wildly original Hollywood movies of recent years. The result is that “Ishtar” has become synonymous with “absurdly expensive folly” when it should simply be seen as one of the strangest, deepest, funniest, most exuberant, and yet most painful comic explorations of the artistic life (and, for that matter, of American political chicanery worldwide) that exists.
Uh. If this article is trying to say that Ishtar failed because of sexism, I don’t think we watched the same movie.
I fell asleep during this movie. It was that bad.
It was boring.
It was stupid.
It was racist.
It was a shitty mcshit-shit film of shittiness.
To the racist, xenophobic, fear-mongering people who made this political bullshit, I have three words:
Why the wedding ring is worn on the fourth finger: The Chinese give a beautiful explanation to this. The thumb represents your parents. The index finger represents your siblings. The middle finger represents yourself. The ring finger represents your life partner. The little finger/pinky represents your children. Hold your hands together like the picture. Join your middle fingers back-to-back, and the remaining fingers tip-to-tip. Now, try to separate your thumbs. They will separate because your parents are not destined to live with you forever. Rejoin your thumbs and separate your index fingers. They will separate because your siblings will have their own families and lead their own lives. Rejoin your index fingers and separate your little fingers/pinkies. They will separate because your children will grow up, get married, and settle down. Rejoin your little fingers/pinkies and try to separate your ring finger. They will not be able to separate because your life partner is meant to be with you throughout your entire life, through thick and thin.
Yeah, but Chinese don’t traditionally wear wedding rings.
And I can’t find anything to prove this thing anywhere except through this quote. So I’m calling BULLSHIT.
I get the funniest of inboxes…this was in retaliation (?) to my lucid and fair points on describing Ethnicism, what it is and what Racism is not.
Above picture is her (‘offbeat orbit’ - http://offbeatorbit.tumblr.com/ ) attempt to get me to look like an idiot by deliberately not replying to my fair comment, but making a post out of it to garner support from her chums. Oh well, suppose the weak need to flock.
Here it goes:
LOL OH MY GOD I CAN’T EVEN BEGIN TO GET TO EVERY BULLSHIT THING THAT IS BEING SAID HERE BUT I’LL TAKE ON A FEW OF THE THINGS THAT STUCK OUT.
1) Lol at you acting as though being an American has warped my view of white people because of white Americans. First of all, lol, please. Second of all, I’m well aware of the problems that the US has, as I am somebody who is a huge critic of US domestic and foreign policy.
However, I find it so fucking hilarious whenever British dudes try to act as though their country is so tolerant and shit. Please, I mean I could get started on your nation’s disgusting imperialistic bullshit but that would take far far far too long. But I will say this: I’ve fucking lived in the UK for a majority of 2011, asshole. And guess what? I experienced racism there. In one particular interest I had the pleasure of dealing with a white guy and his friend pass me on the street as I was walking to the tube from a club and leer at me and say, “OH I LOVE ME A NUBIAN QUEEN.”
That’s just ONE example.
Also, you’re talking to somebody who would gladly move to the UK for a few years, so I don’t know why you are getting so UK vs USA about this shit. Who the fuck cares. Both nations suck if you’re black or a person of color. I’m not going to get into a goddamn pissing contest about which country is nicer to marginalized people.
Seriously, how about you talk to some people of color in the UK and ask them if they’ve dealt with racism before assuming you know. I’ve talked to plenty who have a lot to say.
2) “Coming back round to some of your rather ridiculous comments on the way blacks are treated, well, lets face it - some people are ethnicist no matter how well intentioned others are. What if you are just paranoid? Do you have any fucking idea how uncomfortable white people are made to feel sometimes when exploring different cultures? Do white people make fun of black people for liking certain types of music associated with whites PREDOMINANTLY eg Prog Rock ;) ? I think we both know that it is far harder for a white person to be taken seriously for liking certain types of music most commonly associated with black people and black traditional artistry. Soul etc There are white soul musicians, many female, but there can often be this snobbery against whites trying to do ‘what is ours’. “
YOU’VE GOT TO BE FUCKING JOKING. I am not fucking paranoid about the racism that I and other marginalized people experience on the daily. I’m not about to sit here and explain this shit to a white dude from the UK, sorry, you are the fucking prime example of systematic privilege and you have the privilege not to fucking see what marginalized people see and instead think that we’re sniffing glue or some shit. Fuck off.
And no matter where white people are in the world, 9/10 times they are still benefitting from the privilege of being white. And dude, how can somebody who fucking likes prog rock not know that white people have profited off traditionally “black” forms of music and have been lauded for it FROM THE FUCKING JUMP. Look at all your rock heroes from the 60s and 70s and sit the fuck down. Nobody is chewing them a new asshole for it, they got rich off of it. So please. Also, I get double takes for being one of the few black girls at rock gigs all the goddamn time. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING YOURSELF SFM.
3) “FUCK YOU and your anti-white male stance.”
LOL, and then he goes on to talk about blacks participating in the slave trade or some of those other typical go-tos that white dudes love to make. Dude, you realize that I don’t even need to fucking bring up the slave trade to talk about racism. I can, but I’m not, because there are plenty of examples of racism right here and now. SO STOP TALKING ABOUT THE SALVE TRADE. I KNOW ABOUT THE SLAVE TRADE, ITS PARTICIPANTS, AND EVERYTHING. YOU GOING ON ABOUT IT JUST EMPHASIZES HOW MUCH YOU THINK RACISM IS A PROBLEM OF THE PAST.
4) “You CLEARLY have a warped perception of White males. ” lol and then he goes on about Obama for some reason, idk, he’s all over the place. IDK what Obama has to do with this conversation at all aside from the fact that he is black and people voted for him. He personally doesn’t think he’s doing a great job but okay, I really don’t give a fuck.
I think I have a pretty ok perception of white guys considering, well, life.
5)”You think white people are the biggest bastards in history right? Well…”
Oooh another history lesson about non-white people killin people in the past. Wow, I had NO IDEA THAT NON-WHITE PEOPLE IN POWER DID TERRIBLE THINGS TO PEOPLE. This also, however, has nothing to do with white supremacy. I love how much white people love to bring up anything they can to avoid the uncomfortable fact that they privilege from their whiteness.
6) “About the Nazis - White supremacists of course. Did they spare whites? NOT AT ALL.”
White supremacy =/= DON’T KILL ANY WHITE PEOPLE EVER. Uh, they killed anyone they found racially inferior to them and anybody who obviously got in their way of obtaining as much political power as possible so yeah, obviously, that included white people. This isn’t fucking rocket science.
7) “When it comes down to it, white people should remember that they have every right to be proud of themselves and not feel guilty over shit that IS NOT EVEN ABOUT US AND OUR GENERATIONS NOW. “
WHY DO YOU FEEL PROUD OVER WHITENESS, A CONCEPT WHICH WAS FUCKING INVENTED TO MAINTAIN YOUR SUPERIORITY OVER OTHER PEOPLE. BE PROUD OF OTHER SHIT, BUT NOT OVER BEING WHITE, YOU DUMBASS.
8) Then he talks about black pirates. Again, under the assumption that I’m not aware that brown people have killed people.
9) And no, I fucking meant what I said when I said that race was a concept invented nearly 300 years ago. I’m not talking about racialization in public policy yet, I’m talking about scientists and philosophers creating the race concept. Do you want some fucking pdfs on this shit? Do you? Because I have a shitton of them. This isn’t just from the 1800s, bro.
10) Again, do not try to school me on OOOOH THESE WHITE BRITISH PEOPLE WERE ENCOURAGED TO MINGLE WITH [INSERT BROWN PPL WHO THEY COLONIZED HERE]. Dude, I’m sorry, even when this shit is true in some instances (in the Caribbean as well), I’m really not about to sit here and waste time on romantacizing the Nice Guys of European Imperialism. That is just crass and disgusting. Nobody is getting fuckin brownie points from me.
11) IDK then he got all passionate about Darwin or something. IDK my eyes glazed over, Darwin said some fucked up shit about black people too, I can show you the receipts.
I mean, this shit goes in 50 different directions, but at the end of the day, in summation, this is just you trying to show examples of white people in history not being so bad and brown people doing fucked up shit as though that means something. You like to consider yourself so liberal and free-thinking and awesome for being from the UK, but honestly you sound like every other white brogressive who can’t deal with the reality of the privileges they benefit from re: race and gender. You, seriously, sound like every other fucking well-meaning white liberal with their head up their ass. There is nothing special about you or this argument. I’ve heard it all before and it is always mindless fucking drivel. You, as a white dude, having the nerve to act like a condescending asshole to me, a black chick, IS NOTHING NEW. NONE OF THIS IS NEW OR INTERESTING OR SPECIAL.
ALSO, your tag of # ANNOYING NEW YORKER AMATEUR WRITER FEMINAZI …
If you were as left leaning as you think you are, you’d take the time to learn about how different systems of oppression hurt marginalized people. But instead you waste your time telling marginalized people why they are paranoid or deluded for their experiences. All you have to do is talk to people who are different than you and open your eyes and open your ears. Otherwise you are just another pseudo-leftist white neckbeard listening to Pink Floyd.
That was beautiful.
If anyone else out there has been looking for a good overview of the issues that ignited all this backlash against Laci Green, this post does a really good job.
It makes me really sad to see all this happening to her. Having done some reading over the past few days…
Good information until "When the same Tumblr bloggers who get angry over Laci Green’s comments also scream “Die, Cis Scum” rather than explaining what cis-privilege is, are they really any better than the Westboro Baptist Church with their “God Hates Fags” mottos?"
And then it becomes a very bad article that misses the entire point.
Also, lumping Anita and Laci’s experiences into the same article makes no damn sense. Their controversies are nothing close to each other.